What To Do After a Cycling Accident

By Dudek Law Firm

Advice from Our Bicycle Lawyer in San Diego CA

In this video, San Diego bicycle lawyer Frederick M. Dudek reviews some essential steps for cyclists to know if they are involved in a bike accident. Remember the acronym HEART to know the steps you should take if you are involved in a bike and car collision. If you have been involved in an accident, our firm offers free consultations. Contact our firm online or by calling (858) 530-4800.

Video Transcription

When you’re involved in an accident, even a minor one, there are certain things that you should do. One easy way to remember is the acronym HEART, H-E-A-R-T. The H stands for Help the injured. That should be the first priority. The second letter is E, and that means Exchange information. Everyone knows you’re supposed to exchange information. One of the things that we offer is a brochure that has a pull out and has the exact information that you’re supposed to exchange, policy numbers is for example, is one that people commonly forget. The A in HEART stands for arrange medical care. Even for minor accident where an ambulance or hospitalization is not involved, you may want to make sure that you get medical care quickly. Some injuries show up, for example the next day, and the sooner you get medical care the quicker your recovery will be. The R in the acronym HEART stands for Report. California law requires you to report to the Department of Motor Vehicle within 10 days, fairly short period of time. For any accidents that involves any type of injury or property damages and excess of 750 dollars. The T in the acronym HEART stands for Talk, talk to an attorney.

One of the things that you should do, even for minor accidents is to talk an experienced licensed attorney who specializes in vehicle accidents. For example, in our office I provide complimentary consultations. Typically, they last from 10, 20, 30 minutes or so. In that period of time, I can tell you five things that you should and should not do, even for a minor accident where you may not need an attorney.