San Diego is a popular destination for many vacationing cyclists, and rightly so. The view is beautiful, the weather is perfect, and the community is enthusiastic about catering to these visiting cyclists in San Diego. Here is a consolidated list of everything you need to know if you are thinking of heading our way.
Best Cycling Spots in San Diego
- Noble Canyon – This 10-mile long trail is popular among both hikers and cyclists. It offers an easier ride as it is primarily downhill. For a longer ride, pedal up the trail through rocky and winding areas before the long downhill.
- Cuyamaca Rancho – This 25,000 acre state park offers over 100 miles of trails for a longer ride with a wide range of difficulty.
- Mount Palomar – This 13-mile incline is great for cyclists looking for more of a challenge. The hard work is all worth it at the end as the peak offers one of the best views in the area.
- Daley Ranch – The 3,600 acre area was originally set aside for a housing project before being made into an open preserve with a number of trails that can keep you riding in loops for as long as you desire.
- Mission Bay – The aquatic public park is another San Diego favorite is perfect for sightseeing, picnics, and mingling with us locals. Mission Bay is perfect for family rides if you start in the morning or evening. The afternoon is often plagued with strong ocean winds.
San Diego Cycling Groups
- The North County Cycling Club – This group meets weekends for riders of varying skill. The trips are generally shorter rides around places such as Lake Hodges.
- Swami’s Club Ride – This group meet on Saturdays in Solana Beach and ride for 40 or more miles at a steady pace. This club ride is for more elite riders as it’s a long ride with many climbs at a good pace.
San Diego is well-known for being cyclist friendly. There are enough trails nearby to keep any rider occupied for a lifetime, as well as a ton of shops and clubs, making this the dream location for cyclists of any level. Fair weather riders, cycling club members, Olympic cyclists, and pro-riders can all be seen pedaling all around San Diego year in and year out.
Bonnici Law Group – San Diego bicycle accident lawyer