A California teen was recently critically injured in a tragic bus accident. A nearby construction worker who witnessed the accident says that he saw the young girl and her mother riding along the road. The incident happened early in the morning. The dial-a-ride bus was nearly empty as it came around the corner and hit the girl. She was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.
This particular area of Riverside is known for being especially dangerous. There are no sidewalks or bike lanes, and drivers say that it can be difficult to see pedestrians or cyclists along the sides of the road. Local authorities are looking at surveillance footage from the bus in order to determine the cause of the accident. It is possible that the driver made a mistake, or that this part of the city needs re-planning in order to create a safer environment for cyclists and pedestrians.
What if Something Like this Bus Accident Happens to You?
Most of the time accidents like these happen because the motorist failed to see the rider until it was too late. Sometimes, the bicycle has defects beyond the rider’s control, or unsafe road conditions helped cause a collision. Whether or not you think your accident was the result of negligence, it may be wise to take a few precautions after any bicycle accident, so that you are prepared if you need to take legal action.
- First, seek any necessary medical attention. This should always be your first priority.
- Document the scene of the accident, so that if you end up taking legal action you have an accurate account of how the incident occurred.
- If there is a motorists involved, exchange information so you can contact them in the future if necessary.
- Make sure to keep your bicycle in its current condition. Do not get it repaired, since the damages can be used as evidence.
- Seek the counsel of an experienced attorney. An attorney can help you determine if there was negligence or wrongdoing involved. This can help you get your medical bills and other damages covered.
It’s too early to know exactly why this particular accident occurred. Hopefully this young woman will recover well. In the meantime, we all need to come together and do our part to make our streets safer for everyone.
Frederick M. Dudek is a San Diego personal injury attorney and cycling enthusiast with a passion for empowering victims of bicycle injuries.