Motorcycles can be a great way to get around while enjoying the weather and scenery in Southern California, but the dangers of riding are certainly no secret. Even if you are careful and take all precautions, there is always the risk of a motorcycle accident. Here are some stats to keep in mind before your next ride:
- Motorcycle accident fatalities are 30 times more common than car accident fatalities
- Motorcyclists under the age of 40 are 36 times more likely to be killed than other motorists of the same age
- Over 4 million motorcycles are registered in the United States
- 4,778 people were killed in motorcycle accidents in 2006
- 75% of motorcycle accidents involve another vehicle
- Weather is NOT listed as a factor in 98% of motorcycle accidents
- Road conditions are a factor in 2% of accidents
- The average speed just before a crash is 29.8 miles-per-hour
These stats should not deter safe motorcyclists, but it is good to keep these numbers at the front of your mind so you are aware of the associated risks.
Have you or a loved one been injured or killed in a motorcycle accident?
Dudek Law Firm APC—San Diego wrongful death attorney.